Monday, March 7, 2011

Yummy Croissants


Paul and I have wanted to make croissants ever since we saw It's Complicated in the theater a few years ago! Did that movie make anyone else want to throw flour around your kitchen and flirt with your spouse? Well, it did us! Ha!

Have you ever wondered how pastries just magically appear in bakery's? I have! I've also thought to myself, "Really, someone gets up that early to work with flour and butter?" Do the words FLAKEY & BUTTERY come to mind? Beautiful pastries don't magically appear; in fact, someone truly dedicated gets up at the crack of dawn and creates a masterpiece!

After seeing my fav foodie last week blog about making croissants I knew I would have a fool proof recipe to follow so I decided this past weekend that I was up for the challenge. Actually, this was my first time working with pastry and the first time you bite into those tender, buttery layers you will never go back! The time and effort is indeed worth it! 

Yield: 12 croissants
Ingredients:
For the dough:
3 cups (15 oz.) all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
1 tbsp. instant yeast
¼ cup (1¾ oz.) sugar
1¼ tsp. salt
1¼ cups whole milk, cold
2 tbsp. unsalted butter

For the butter square:
24 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1-tablespoon pieces and kept cold
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour

Egg wash:
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Adapted from Annies-Eats
Head over to Annies-Eats   to see the complete tutorial.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...